- Add a box of dry instant pudding mix to your cake batter. Try adding pistachio pudding mix to chocolate cake batter or instant lemon pudding to a white cake mix.
- Chop up candy bars or add chocolate chips for a more interesting cake.
- Blend fresh fruit like strawberries or applesauce into your cake batter in place of one of the liquid elements.
- Squeeze caramel or chocolate ice cream syrup into batter or frosting for an interesting twist.
- When pouring chocolate cake batter into a pan, use half the batter to cover the bottom of the pan, then add a layer of Peppermint Patties or Andes Mints. Cover the mints with the remaining cake batter.
- Add a dollop of peanut butter to a chocolate or vanilla cake mix for a nutty taste.
- Consider baking two small cakes. When you're ready to frost the cakes, spread a layer of jam or marmalade on top of the first cake, put the second cake on top and then frost both cakes as one.
- Top a frosted cake with sprinkles, chopped nuts, or M&Ms for easy decorating.
- Dust frosting with cocoa powder or confectioners sugar.
- Top a frosted cake with sliced fruit for a fresher take on boxed cake.
- Cupcakes are instantly-cute desserts and don't require much more time than making one large cake. Buy cute liners and add from-a-box cake batter to make instantly-adorable desserts.
Sunday, February 13, 2011
The 15-minute party planners among us like to prep for parties without breaking a sweat. To make a simple boxed cake mix a little fancier, try these easy suggestions: